Wednesday, April 1, 2020

Editing Blog: Re-edit Blog

During my extended Spring Break, I went over to Hannah's house to edit our Final Task. Since the deadline for the Final Task and the Creative Critical Questions did not change, Hannah and I took the initiative to get our work done. The global pandemic of COVID-19 caused the Production and Post-Production to be challenging. One of those challenges was editing. Hannah's family generously bought Pinnacle Studios for our project. If we followed the 30-day free-trail, it would put a watermark on the video when exported. Our Post-Production was delayed because it took about an hour and a half for Pinnacle Studios to be downloaded and for the footage to be re-imported,

Once all the footage and music were re-imported, Hannah and I watched our Final Task. I suggested re-editing the entire thing after the trunk-shot. The reason why I suggested to re-edit the "ending" because the footage wasn't recognized and there was some awkwardness. I reasoned it was easier to re-edit the ending. So, during the ninth day of Post-Production, my main role was the organizer. Similar to the beginning of the Post-Production, I would read the number of the selected footage to piece the footage in the track. If we needed to re-watch footage, I would offer comments and opinions about each one. I would comment on the lighting, actions, emotions, and volume. For instance, I suggested to use particular footage of Kat pronouncing her dialogue because it was loud, had a serious tone, and the lighting was fine. Also, I would comment on the duration of the footage. I would phrase like "there" and "stop" to signify places where I wanted the footage to be trimmed.

Another primary role I had during this editing day was sound. Compared to Hannah, I had the most experiences with sound. So, I was tasked with all elements with sound because I was more efficient. I re-imported the sound from my flash drive into Pinnacle Studios. Once the selected music was placed in the track, I trimmed the music because I felt a certain part of the music helps develop the Final Task to become action-like. In addition to importing sound, I detached audio from some of the shots. The reason why I detach the audio because I needed a specific part for a voice-over. This voice over will help transition to a suspenseful ending. Other tricks I performed with sound was volume. Since the changes in dynamics is a key convention in Action movies, I had to be tactful in its placement. I added a couple of fades to gradually increase the sound. This fade will help build the suspense and adrenaline rush because the dynamics of the music correlates to the intensity of the action. Moreover, I adjusted the volume of the actress' dialogue and background music because it was difficult to coherently hear the actresses.

One of those challenges was actresses. According to our rubric, my Final Task needs a shot-reverse-shot. Originally this was achieved when I had a comedy aspect. However, I cut that scene out because it caused the movie to not make sense. A solution was to replace the dialogue with another dialogue. However, this required another Monitor scene. When I was editing the "new" scene, a shot-reverse shot would cause some awkwardness. I suggested adding another line in the beginning and the ending to achieve a shot-reverse-shot. Due to fear and anxiety that manifested from the Corona virus, our actresses' could not meet up for another filming day for a shot-reverse-shot.

On the second day of the Post-Production, my main role was titles because I am a more efficient typer. Inserting titles was a frustrating process because Pinnacle Studios wouldn't allow me to add transitions. I spent a significant amount of time drafting and creating titles. Once I acquired the knowledge from Hannah, I was able to insert all the titles in under 30 minutes.


It is really difficult to perform my student obligations while there is a global pandemic.

(This is me adding titles to my Final Task. )



No comments:

Post a Comment

Audience and Institution Practice Essay

          One of the most known multi-media conglomerates is Disney. Within the last century, Disney has expanded its company to become a we...