Thursday, March 19, 2020

Editing Blog: Sound and Changes

During the eighth day of post-production, Hannah and I are three quarters finished adding sound. There were a multitude of unexpected variables I faced. One of those unexpected variables was computer problems. Somehow the computer I edit on almost always have low battery. The solution was to grab a different computer. However, this solution did not work because of Pinnacle Studios. If Hannah and I used a different computer, we would have to re-import and download all files for the Final Task. Due to time restrictions, we decided to use the our computer while it charged . While Hannah and I sat on the floor, we edit our film.

Before we change something, we would watch the Final Task and absorbed the information. We watched the film a couple of times. During the second time, I took notes on elements that need improvements. For instance, during Scenes 6 to 7, the dialogue needed to be louder. Once I finished taking notes on the transitions and the sound, I began to edit the sound. Since I haven't had the opportunity to fully edit on the Final Task, Hannah and I decided I should edit during the majority of this editing day. During this editing day, I added the song "Addicted" by YVEN to the end of the Final Task. Without the intense music, it is difficult to understand the story. After I added and trimmed the music, I faded the music because it would have a greater impact on the audience and it would transition smoother. The most difficult part about sound is alignment. In the last scene, I want the audience to be in suspense. I wanted to use a particular part of the song because it would help develop suspense. The reason why the alignment was difficult because I had to match the sound with the loud "Bang" and the dialogue spoken by the Monitor.

Other parts I worked on sound was the volume. A reoccurring issue of sound is volume. Even though the actors spoken coherently during filming, the sound is very quiet. So I adjusted the volume of the dialogue to become louder and the music to become quieter.

There were major changes in this editing day. One of those changes was the genre. Initially, I wanted to do comedy because I wanted to do something that was creative and unique. Due to the difficulties of the last scene, we showed the final task to a fellow classmate to ask for guidance . If a student can understand a movie, then the final task is successful. The classmate reviewed the video and offered helpful criticism. One of their comments was to cut out Scene 3 because it felt displaced and to add another Monitor Scene. They felt it was confusing since the Monitor appeared during the beginning and ending. Minor tips was to cut the unnesscary clips. For instance, a disappointed Cori sitting while she watched the Target run away.  This would allow us to focus on an action genre.

So, the next day Hannah and I will have to re-shoot/ re-do Scene 3 and another Monitor scene.

Even though there the Coronavirus, this blog is about my journey before school was closed.

(This is a picture of me reviewing the Final Task before I made adjustments. )



No comments:

Post a Comment

Audience and Institution Practice Essay

          One of the most known multi-media conglomerates is Disney. Within the last century, Disney has expanded its company to become a we...