Wednesday, October 23, 2019

Filming the Commerical

Today in AICE Media Studies, my group and I filmed our commercial. I found the filming  to be a  long and tedious process- yet it was very satisfying. It was a wonderful feeling to know most of the filming for a project was filmed. I learn directors would make mistakes, face challenges on film day and it's difficulty to film a one-shot. For example, my group and I didn't anticipate to film the commercial during a P.E. class. This commercial required all my group. Hannah and Hailey were our designated camerawomen and voice-over actresses. Emma's job was to be the actor. Although my main job was to be the subject of the commercial, I felt I was co-director and organizer. Before my AICE Media Studies teacher allowed my group to film, one of my jobs was to be the organizer. The organizer doesn't have a specific job but, their main goal to make sure all the paperwork and procedures are in order. This means I was in charge of filling out the sign-out sheets for the camera, camera bag, SD-card, tripod and the pass. I had my other groupmates assist me to check if the camera equipment was in proper conditions. Once we were finished filming and after dumping the footage on the computer, I had to make sure all the camera equipment and paperwork were turned in before we were dismissed. Even though this job seemed easy, it is a crucial part in the filming. If I did not correctly fill the paperwork, followed the procedures and turned in the necessary blogs, my group and I wouldn't be able to film. This demonstrates a small role can have a great impact.

After everything was organized, my group and I were released to film. My main job was to be one of the actresses in the commercial. My job was act as a track and field athlete. I was chosen to be one of the subjects because I was more athletic than two of my groupmates. Although I pay tennis, track and field is very different from tennis even if they both contain significant amounts of running. Most of the time, I was directed by Hannah to run. One thing I did not expect was the distance I had to run. Since my group and I agreed to film multiple takes from different angles, I didn't anticipate the distance I had to run. Emma and I had to run from various locations of various distances on the track field approximately three times, at least. Once we finished filming the running takes, I had to act exhausted- which I already was- after I "completed" a lap around the track. I was required to breathe very loudly and over exaggeratedly.  I didn't have to spread mist on my face because the weather was hot and humid, which will help emphasize the importance of Gatorade. 

Another job I had was co-director. During the filming process I would co-direct the scene with Hannah. While Hannah directed the actors, I co-directed some of the camera angles and movements that were needed in the take. For example, I directed and suggested the angle the camera should be facing to efficiently produce a jump cut. I told camerawomen Hannah and Hailey some scenes should be filmed from behind the actors and in front of the actors to show the progression of the race and the progression of exhaustion in athletes. Sometimes direct my fellow actress, Emma, on the emotions and actions her character must follow. For an example, the running takes. Before we filmed the running takes, I told Emma her character must display joy and excitement because her character won the race against my character. I also advised her, her character must acted exhausted. This victory would help us create a smoother transition between scenes. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Audience and Institution Practice Essay

          One of the most known multi-media conglomerates is Disney. Within the last century, Disney has expanded its company to become a we...