Wednesday, November 6, 2019

Editing Blog

Today in AICE Media Studies class, my group and I finally finished the editing process. I liked how the transitions and different shots ran smoothly and create an appealing commercial. I am very happy the Gatorade commercial project is over because I can't wait to get started on the Music Video Project. I have to admit it was a very frustrating yet interesting process. Although I did not appreciate it during the actual process, I found the reward to be satisfying. During the editing process, my group and I were assigned two days to edit the entire 30 second commercial. Even though it seems my teacher gave my class too much time, every single second and minute counted.

On November 4th, 2019, my group and I finally began to edit. After a week of delay, my group and I was ready to get straight to work. After my teacher gave out the instructions for the next two class periods, I immediately signed out the laptop and quickly logged onto the laptop. Since it was "new" laptops, it took about 15 minutes for the computer to load because they are considered old and it was the first time I logged onto that specific laptop. The editing process continued to be delayed: Hannah and I had to re-dumped the footage from the UBS drive onto the computer, create a new folder and start from the beginning to edit. As I previously stated, the primary reason for our delay was the computer- this is why schools' priorities should be readjust. Even though I signed in under my account, the commercial didn't save since it was a different computer. Once Hannah and I finished the setting up process, we began to arrange footage into the most logical and efficient way.  As Hannah was controlling the computer, I added input and suggested what take should be shots in the commercial. For instance, I suggested we should use take 1500 because it was the best out of the three takes and it was less shaky.  While we were editing, Pinnacle Studios wasn't cooperating. When Hannah and I first reviewed the raw footage for the beginning of the commercial, the footage looked choppy. However, when we reviewed the raw footage in the file program on PCs, the raw footage ran smoothly. Our editing process continued to be delayed because we would switch from Pinnacle Studios and the file program to select the necessary takes. Also, in Pinnacle Studios my group and I had to wait for the change to be save to prevent the program from crashing and erasing our work. Even though, my group and I had technical difficulties, we were productive and worked efficiently. At the end of the period, Hannah and I were able to piece the baseline of our commercial and began to cut the shots. We also had a plan on the things we needed to still edit: adding sound, cutting shots and adding transitions.

On November 6th, 2019 -also the last day to edit- my group and I went to worked immediately. I grabbed the same computer and I loaded Pinnacle Studios. One of the first things I did today was I cut the unnecessary footage to condense the duration to become shorter. While Hannah I edit, Hailey and Emma were in charged of finding the nondiegetic sound and the soundtrack for the commercial. Since my group and I are making a sport commercial, we needed the music to match the intensity in  a sports commercial. While Hannah and Emma began to increase the speed for some shots,  I helped Hailey dumped the soundtrack from the computer to my flash drive and onto laptop. Once I dumped, I was able to import the soundtrack into Pinnacle Studios. After I imported the music, I began to add the diegetic sound of running. Since my group and I had limited time, we were able to only include the running sounds. Then, I helped Hannah cut some of the shots and  adjust the speed. On this editing day, I worked from bell to bell on this commercial.

Even though I was stressed and frustrated during the whole editing period, it was interesting maniuplating the software to create a film. I hope the future editing processes will be easier.















No comments:

Post a Comment

Audience and Institution Practice Essay

          One of the most known multi-media conglomerates is Disney. Within the last century, Disney has expanded its company to become a we...